Visits to St Catharine's
Are you or your students interested in coming to see St Catharine’s? The College offers the chance for schools to bring groups of students for visit days to the college. We run a number of such visit days during the academic year, and these are broadly tailored to year 10/11 students, or to year 12 students.
The information and experience we offer for your students depends on the age group:
- For younger students, we offer a chance to have a general overview of how Cambridge works, lunch in the college, a tour of the college given by an undergraduate student, and the afternoon activity such as a visit to one of the local University museums or a visit to another college. The main purpose of these days is to raise student aspirations, give them a sense of familiarity with Cambridge, bust a few of the common myths surrounding Cambridge, and also get them thinking about their post 16 subject choices.
- For students in year 12, the day is more focused around useful information for applying to Cambridge and other top competitive universities. Our presentations will focus on personal statements, UCAS applications and also what to expect at an interview. We also include a tour of college and lunch, and a Q&A panel with current undergraduates about their experiences at interview.
Our visit days generally start around 10.30 am, and we aim to finish around 3pm, giving you time to get home with your students, or spend the afternoon exploring the city.
Example timetables of our year 10/11 and year 12 days can be downloaded from the right sidebar.
To book a visit day, please complete the form on this page.
You can also arrange to come for a half-day visit with your school. These visits are an abbreviated version of our full day visits, and will include an age appropriate presentation, a tour and lunch in the college. We can arrange for shorter visits at any point in the year, except during the interview period (December) and the College’s 'quiet period' during the Cambridge University exams (mid-April to mid-June). During these times, Jessy, our Schools Liaison Officer, is available to visit your school for workshops and presentations (see below for more details). Please note, visits to the College or to your school will be limited in November due to admissions.
All students are welcome to attend the College’s open days.
Visits to your school
Want us to come to you? Our Schools Liaison Officer is available to visit schools in our Target Areas (Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Suffolk, Rutland and North Yorkshire.) She can provide a number of different presentations and workshops for teachers and students, including:
- General information about access to University
- Applying to Oxbridge
- Interviews at Cambridge
- A Level and post-16 Subject choices
- Student life at Cambridge
- Science/Arts & Humanities at Cambridge (two similar presentations, tailored to students interested in Arts or Sciences at Cambridge and other top Universities).
- Apply to competitive university courses.
Jessy will endeavour to visit as many schools as possible during the course of the academic year. She will be able to tailor presentations and workshops to suit the needs of individual schools. Given the size of our target areas, Jessy will aim to arrange for ‘hub’ events at schools, where larger schools will invite smaller, locally based schools to come along to events so that the maximum number of schools possible can be contacted.
If you would like Jessy to come to your school, please fill in the webform on this page.