International students

If you are applying to Cambridge from outside the EU, there are a few things you will need to consider when making your application. Please feel free to get in touch directly with the Admissions Office if you have any unanswered questions.

If you are not taking any of the examinations mentioned above (A Levels, IB, EB, and so on), then you should contact the Admissions Office for advice. We do have experience of dealing with applications from a wide range of exam systems, and can usually advise you of the sorts of level of qualification that you will need.

You should also be aware that if you are situated outside the EU when you make your application, you will have to fill out an additional form – the ‘COPA’.

Overseas students should also be aware that if you are made an offer of a place, you will need to produce evidence of your ability to pay the fees for the course, before your place will be confirmed.

English language skills

If you are a student for whom English is not your first language, and if you do not have a pass (at C grade or above) in GCSE English or any equivalent exam, then any offer of an academic place may include and additional requirement that you pass an English Proficiency exam.

For example, we would usually require a pass in a test such as the British Council's IELTS test with an average score of 7.5 and a minimum score of 7.0 or 7.5 in individual elements. However, other assessment systems are also accepted - see this link.

Please bear in mind that whatever assessment system you enter, you should meet all the requirements set at a single sitting of the exam, and your qualification must be valid at the time you intend to start your course - for IELTS this is usually within two years of taking the test.

Interviews by Skype or other forms of videoconferencing

St Catharine's does not currently favour the use of Skype or other forms of videoconferencing for admissions interviews, and you should bear this in mind when you apply. We strongly prefer to interview candidates in person, either in Cambridge, or at one of the University's rounds of interviews at centres outside the EU. If you would prefer a Skype interview, check the websites of other Cambridge colleges, as they may have different policies in this regard.