Makes 8–10 cakes.
275g self-raising flour
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
50g ground almonds
2 tsp caraway seeds
200g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
100g butter, melted
1 medium egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C/Gas 5. Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl and add the currants, almonds, caraway seeds and sugar.
2. Add the melted butter and beaten egg, and mix to form a soft dough.
3. Roll out onto a floured surface to about 2cm thick and cut out rounds using an 85mm biscuit cutter, then lay them onto a piece of baking parchment on a baking tray.
4. Take a knife with a sharp point and draw a swirl into the surface of the biscuit, then sprinkle on a little sugar.
5. Bake for around 10 mins or until they are browned and slightly risen. Cool on a wire rack.