Professor Robert Bennett
History of entrepreneurship, and SME policy History of Chambers of Commerce Local and Regional Economic Development: The Role of Institutions
Former Director of Studies (2000-10)
Emeritus Professor of Geography
- Undergraduate at St. Catharine's 1967-70, PhD 1970-3 (awarded 1974), Scholar 1968-7; senior scholar 1970
- 1973-1978: Lecturer, University College London.
- 1978: Visiting Professor, University of California Berkeley; Guest Scholar Brookings Institution, Washington D.C. (also in 1979, 1981, 1984)
- 1978-1985: Lecturer, University of Cambridge, Fellow Fitzwilliam College.
- 1984: International Fellow, Macquarie University, New South Wales.
- 1985: US-UK International Fellow, Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- 1989: University Fellow, George Mason University, Virginia.
- 1985-1996: Professor of Geography London School of Economics.
- 1996-2000: Leverhulme Research Professor, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge, Fellow St. Catharine's College.
- 1996-2010: Professor of Geography (1931), Department of Geography, University of Cambridge, Fellow St. Catharine's College.
- 1996-: Senior Associate of the Judge Business School (Cambridge Centre of Business Research); Member of the Cambridge Group for the History of Population and Social Structure (Campop).
- 2011-: Emeritus Professor of Geography, University of Cambridge and PI Director of Research 2011-19; Emeritus Fellow, St. Catharine's College.
- Bennett, R.J., 2014. Entrepreneurship, small business and public policy: Evolution and revolution. p.1-176. doi:10.4324/9780203078624.
- Bennett, R.J. (ed.), 2012. Environment and Planning: Volume C: Government and Policy, Sage. 540pp.
- Elden, S., Thrift, N., Barnes, T.J., Peck, J., Batty, M., Longley, P.A. and Bennett, R.J. (eds.), 2012. Environment and Planning: Volume E: Foundations, Sage. 539pp.
- Bennett, R.J., 2011. Local Business Voice: The history of Chambers of Commerce in Britain, Ireland and Revolutionary America, 1760-2011, Oxford University Press.
- Bennett, R.J., 2010. The voice of Liverpool business: The first chamber of commerce and the Atlantic economy 1774-c.1796.
- 1978 (R.J. Bennett and R.J. Chorley) Environmental Systems: philosophy, analysis and control, (Methuen, London), 624pp.
- (eds. R.L. Martin, N. Thrift and R.J. Bennett) Dynamic Analysis of Spatial Systems, (Pion, London), 210pp.
- 1979 Spatial Time Series: analysis, forecasting and control (Pion, London), 674pp.
- 1980 The Geography of Public Finance: welfare under fiscal federalism and local government finance, (Methuen, London), 498pp.
- 1981 (eds. N. Wrigley and R.J. Bennett) Quantitative Geography in Britain: retrospect and prospect, (RKP, London), 419pp.
- (ed.) European Quantitative and Theoretical Geography: a symposium, (Pion, London), 305pp.
- 1982 Central Grants to Local Governments: the political and economic impacts of the Rate Support Grant, (Cambridge University Press), 351pp.
- 1984 (K.C. Tan and R.J. Bennett), Optimal Control of Spatial Systems, (Allen and Unwin, London), 178pp.
- 1985 Intergovernmental Financial Relations in Austria, (ANU Press, Canberra), 90pp.
- (A.G. Wilson and R.J. Bennett), Mathematical and Statistical Theory in Human Geography and Planning, (J. Wiley Guidebooks in Applicable Mathematics, Chichester), 411pp.
- 1986 (eds. R.J. Bennett and H. Zimmermann) Local Business Taxes in Britain and Germany: Conference Report, (Anglo-German Foundation, London and Bonn), 186pp.
- 1988 (R.J. Bennett and G. Krebs), Local Business Taxes in Britain and Germany, (Nomos, Baden-Baden), 344pp.
- 1989 (ed.) Territory and Administration in Europe, (Frances Pinter, London), 316pp.
- 1990 (ed.) Decentralisation, Local Governments and Markets: towards a post-welfare agenda, (Clarendon Press, Oxford), 412pp.
- (eds. R.J. Bennett, G. Krebs and H. Zimmermann) Local Economic Development in Britain and Germany, (Anglo-German Foundation, London and Bonn), 174pp.
- 1991 (R.J. Bennett and G. Krebs), Local Economic Development: public-private partnership initiatives in Britain and Germany, (Belhaven Press, London), 200pp.
- (eds. R.J. Bennett and R.C. Estall) Global Change and Challenge: Geography for the 1990s, (Routledge, London), 264pp.
- 1993 (R.J. Bennett and A. McCoshan) Enterprise and Human Resource Development: local capacity building, (Paul Chapman, London), 336pp.
- (eds. R.J. Bennett, G. Krebs and H. Zimmermann) Chambers of Commerce in Britain and Germany and the Impact of the Single European Market, (Anglo-German Foundation, London and Bonn), 200pp.
- (ed.) Local Government in the New Europe, (Belhaven Press, London), 309pp.
- 1994 (R.J. Bennett, P.J. Wicks and A. McCoshan) Local Empowerment and Business Services: Britain’s experiment with Training and Enterprise Councils, (UCL Press, London), 349pp.
- (ed.) Local Government and Market Decentralisation: experiences in industrialised, developing and former eastern bloc countries, (United Nations University Press, Tokyo), 506pp.
- 1997 (ed.) Trade Associations in Britain and Germany: responding to internationalisation and the EU. (Anglo-German Foundation, London and Bonn) 118pp.
- 2000 (R.J. Bennett and D.A. Payne) Local and Regional Economic Development: renegotiating power under Labour (Ashgate, Aldershot) 291 pp.
(1969) Scholar, St Catharine's College, Cambridge; (1970) Senior Scholar, St Catharine's College, Cambridge; (1982) Royal Geographical Society, Roderick E Murchison Award for contributions to study of public finance and public administration