Visits to St Catharine's
Are you or your students interested in coming to see St Catharine’s? The College offers the chance for schools to bring groups of students for visit days to the college and give priority to schools in our link areas of North Yorkshire, Rutland, and Suffolk. You can read more about the University's Area Links Scheme and find your school's link College here.
The information and experience we offer your students depends on the age group:
- For younger students, we offer a chance to have a general overview of how Cambridge works, lunch in the college, a tour of the college given by an undergraduate student, and the afternoon activity such as a visit to one of the local University museums or a visit to another college. The main purpose of these days is to raise student aspirations, give them a sense of familiarity with Cambridge, bust a few of the common myths surrounding Cambridge, and also get them thinking about their post 16 subject choices.
- For students in year 12, the day is more focused around useful information for applying to Cambridge and other top competitive universities. Our presentations will give guidance on applications and the Oxbridge interview process. We also include a tour of College, lunch, and the opportunity to speak to current undergraduates.
Our visit days generally start around 10.30 am, and we aim to finish around 3pm, giving you time to get home with your students, or spend the afternoon exploring the city. Timings can be discussed with Kathryn, our Schools Liaison Officer, when she plans your visit.
To check availability for a visit to St Catharine's, please complete the webform on this page.
You can also arrange to come for a half-day visit with your school. These visits are an abbreviated version of our full day visits, and will include an age appropriate presentation, a tour and lunch in the college. We can arrange for shorter visits at any point in the year, except during the interview period (December) and the College’s 'quiet period' during the Cambridge University exams (mid-April to mid-June). During these times, Kathryn, our Schools Liaison Officer, is available to visit your school for workshops and presentations (see below for more details). Please note, visits to the College or to your school will be limited in November due to admissions.
All Year 12 (and equivalent) are welcome to attend the College’s open days.
Visits to your school
Want us to come to you? Our Schools Liaison Officer is available to visit schools in our Target Areas (Suffolk, Rutland, and North Yorkshire.) For more information on Cambridge College Link Areas, and to find your school's link College, please visit: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/area-links
Kathryn, our Schools Liaison Officer, can provide a number of different presentations and workshops for teachers and students, including:
- General information about access to University
- Applying to Oxbridge
- Interviews at Cambridge
- A Level and post-16 Subject choices
- Student life at Cambridge
- Applying to competitive university courses
Kathryn will endeavour to visit as many schools as possible during the course of the academic year. She will be able to tailor presentations and workshops to suit the needs of individual schools. Given the size of our target areas, she will aim to arrange for ‘hub’ events at schools, where larger schools will invite smaller, locally based schools to come along to events so that the maximum number of schools possible can be contacted. If you are interested in collaborating with other schools in your area on an event, please let us know when booking a visit.
During a visit from St Catharine's, we normally spend an hour on each session we deliver. The key purpose of such visits is to provide information about Cambridge in particular and Higher Education in general, with specially tailored sessions for year 12/13 students considering applying. We work mainly with students at Key Stages 4 and 5, though we're very happy to deliver sessions which involve parents and/or teachers too. Our sessions are always focused on the needs of the audience and we're willing to discuss more specific provision upon request.
If you would like Kathryn to come to your school, please check availability by completing the webform on this page.