On Monday 29th June and Wednesday 1st July, St Catharine's College will host Subject Masterclass events for UK state school students in Year 12 (or equivalent). These events offer prospective students the opportunity to:
- Experience an interactive subject-specific taster session with an academic at the University of Cambridge
- Find out more about making a competitive Oxbridge application by an Admissions Tutor
- Meet current undergraduate students and have a tour of St Catharine's College (including accommodation)
- Have lunch in our College Dining Hall
- Take part in a Q&A session with Admissions Office staff, Fellows, and undergraduate students at St Catharine's College
A PDF itinerary to download can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
Monday 29th June
- English Literature
Wednesday 1st July
- Biological Natural Sciences
The Subject Masterclass days (including lunch and refreshments) are completely free of charge. Students will need to arrange their own travel to and from the events. However, St Catharine's can cover the cost of travel for participants who:
- are currently eligible for Free School Meals (or have been in the last 6 years);
- are living, or have lived, in local authority care.
There are also extra travel bursaries available for students who are coming from further away, such as Scotland, Northern England, Southwest England, or Wales. Please get in touch with Kathryn Singleton, the event coordinator, if you would like to discuss financial support: email@example.com.
Application and eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply, you must be a UK state school student in Year 12 (or equivalent), predicted to receive AAA or above at A-Level (or equivalent). Should the Subject Masterclasses be oversubscribed, priority will be given to students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Eligible for Free School Meals (or have been eligible for Free School Meals in the past)
- Live in an area with low rates of participation in Higher Education
- Live, or have lived, in local authority care.
- Live in a postcode in IMD Quintile 1 or 2
- Young carer
- No parental history of Higher Education
- From an ethnic group currently underrepresented at Cambridge
- Female students (for the Mathematics Subject Masterclass)
The application process will open shortly. The deadline for applications is Monday 1st June.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathryn Singleton, the Schools Liaison Officer, who coordinates the Subject Masterclasses.