7th - 9th April 2020
The residential will give Year 12 (or equivalent) students the opportunity to experience life as a university student and engage with their subjects in depth. Participants will stay in St Catharine's College and attend academic taster sessions to develop their critical reading and thinking skills, explore the city with current Cambridge students (including going punting!), speak to Admissions Tutors about the application process, and meet other students from across the UK with similar interests.
The deadline for applications is 3rd February 2020.
All meals, accommodation, and activities will be free of charge. Students will need to arrange their own travel to and from the residential in Cambridge. However, St Catharine's can cover the cost of travel for successful applicants who:
- are currently eligible for Free School Meals (or have been in the last 6 years);
- are living, or have lived, in local authority care.
Application Portal and Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible to apply, you must be a UK state school student in Year 12 (or equivalent), predicted to receive AAA or above at A-Level (or equivalent). We expect to have more applications than we have places on the residential. Priority will be given to students who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Eligible for Free School Meals (or have been eligible for Free School Meals in the past)
- Live in an area with low rates of participation in Higher Education
- Live, or have lived, in local authority care.
- Live in a postcode in IMD Quintile 1 or 2
- Young carer
- No parental history of Higher Education
- From an ethnic group currently underrepresented at Cambridge
Applications to the residential can be made through the joint Application Portal. This online form will also give you the opportunity to apply for places on similar residentials at other Cambridge Colleges. The form will ask for some personal information, a statement on why you would like to attend, and the name of a teacher who can provide a reference for you. The form will take 20-30 minutes to complete and you can save your progress and return to the form. The deadline for applications is 3rd February 2020.
If you have any questions about the English and MML Residential, please contact Kathryn Singleton, the College's Schools Liaison Officer.