Postgraduate College Bills

At the start of each term all postgraduate students will receive a bill from the College finance office to their @cam email address. Below is an explanation of the costs you will incur during your time at St Catharine's.

If you have any queries about your bill, please contact the Finance Office (

Home students (or their funders) are invoiced for their University and College fees towards the end of October. Fees are billed on a yearly basis with the option to pay in three equal instalments each year. International students are billed for these fees in September and are expected to pay in full before arriving in Cambridge to begin the academic year in October.

PhD students in their fourth year of full-time study or beyond are automatically exempt from the University Composition fee.

If you are not self-funded, then the College will collect the fees from your funding body. Please ensure that you provide any details of who the invoice should be sent to by completing a Finance Form here.

Facilities charge

A contribution from postgraduates not living in College accommodation to reflect the fact that all postgraduates, whether they live in College accommodation or further away, have access to core facilities such as the bar, dining hall and gym, as well as the sports grounds and boathouse, and that all postgraduates should pay a small charge by way of contribution to these facilities. 

A list of current charges can be found here. 

Postgraduate students who live in private accommodation further than 1 mile from College can apply for a reduced facilities charge. To receive a reduction on your bill from Michaelmas Term for the full academic year, you need to apply by 15 September 2022. If you miss this date, you will be able to claim the reduction from Lent Term, as long as you apply by 15 December 2022. Please use this link to apply 

Caution money

£200 deposit. All students are billed for this when they first matriculate with the College and is refundable upon your departure as long as you have not damaged any College property, or owe the College money in any other way. Please note this is not an accommodation deposit - even if you move out of College Accommodation during your course, your Caution Money is not refunded to you until you have graduated from your course.

The University fee does not include any accommodation costs. If you are staying in one of the College's residences for postgraduate students you will be billed for your rent on a termly basis at the rents given on the Room Rents page. Water, gas, electricity and Internet are all included in the accommodation charge.

Vacating mid-term

All tenancy agreements run from 1 October to 22 September regardless of your move in date and/or the length of your course. If you wish to move out before 22 September, you will need to give the Accommodation Manager 3 months' notice of your move-out date. Your accommodation bill for that quarter will then be adjusted accordingly.

MCR subscription

All postgraduate students are automatically enrolled as members of the MCR unless they opt-out at the beginning of the year. MCR membership is charged at £13.00 per term.

Annual Electric Test (also known as PAT Testing)

If you are living in one of the postgraduate residences you will need to have any electrical appliances tested at the beginning of the year for which you will be charged. An email will be circulated to let you know when the testing will take place.