Skip to main content
St Catharine's College, Cambridge Search

Hardship grants

Information about hardship funds available from College and the University

There are various sources of funding available to student experiencing financial difficulties and the College regularly makes awards to graduates and undergraduates in case of unforseen financial difficulty. Those experiencing hardship are advised to contact the Graduate Tutors via the Graduate Administrator.

College Hardship Fund

In the case of hardship requests to the College Graduate Fund, please download and complete the College Hardship Application Form and Budget Planner, and submit them to the Graduate Administrator here at College. 

Applicants must also apply to other sources for funding assistance, such as the University Hardship Fund, the Cambridge Philosophical Society and their Department or Faculty. We will not reach a final decision until you have notified the Graduate Administrator of the outcome of your other applications are known, however contingency awards can be made in cases of immediate need.


Other Hardship Funding

University Hardship Fund
If you are registered for one of the following degrees, regardless of nationality, you may apply for a Hardship Research Award from the Board of Graduate Studies: MPhil (full time and part time), LLM, MCL, MRes, MMus, MLitt (full time and part time), MASt, MFin, MSc, MEd, MSt, VetMD, PhD (full time and part time), EngD, PhD, MD, EdD, PGCE, CPGS, ADTS.

The maximum award per year is £2,000 and the application deadline is the division of term.  The application form is completed online and will automatically generate reference requests from your registered supevisor and the Gradaute Tutor. Students studying for the BA, BTh, MB, BChir, VetMB, MusB, CGCM, MEng, MMath or MSci should apply to the Bell, Abbott & Barnes fund.

The Bell, Abbott, and Barnes Funds
These funds provide assistance to undergraduate students (including Clinical Veterinary and Medical students) in financial difficulties, particularly to those suffering unexpected hardship. They provide grants of £100 to £1,000 (or up to £2,000 in exceptional circumstances) per annum. There is one application deadline in the middle of each term: you should, well in advance, give full details of your financial situation to Dr Peter Wothers, the Finacial Tutor who can apply on your behalf. For full guidance, please follow the link to the Bell, Abbott & Barnes fund.

Cambridge Philosophical Society
Natural Science students who have been members (Fellows) of the Cambridge Philosophical Society for over a year are eligible to apply to the society for a Research Studentship. Please note we will not consider applications to the Graduate Fund to such students who are eligible for membership and have neither joined the society nor applied for assistance.

Medical Expenses

Crane's Charity
Students who are ill or injured and in demontrable financial need may apply to the Crane's charity for help in meeting these costs. Applications are made by the College Graduate Tutor on your behalf and can be submitted at any time. A diagnostic assessment from your medical practioner and relevant receipts will be required with decision normally received within a month.

Specific Learning Difficulty Diagnostic Assessments
Students with a suspected specific learning difficulty (such as dyslexia) previously had recourse to apply to Access to Learning Fund for support towards the cost of obtaining a diagnostic assessment report (circa £400). From Michaelmas Term 2016 this scheme has been discontinued and students who need help in meeting such costs should apply to the College Graduate Fund for a hardship award.

Contact details

Graduate Office
Angela Abbott
MCR website