Skip to main content
St Catharine's College, Cambridge Search

Postgraduate accommodation

In handling accommodation matters we try to be as transparent, fair and helpful as possible. In return we would like to ask all postgraduates to keep their requests reasonable!

St Catharine’s currently has the following postgraduate residences, all within walking or cycling distance of the College and City Centre. A quick guide is available below. Click on the name of each residence to view more details:

Residence Number of Units Occupancy Bathroom Car Park
Brookside 5 Double Private No
Russell Street 66 Single En-Suite Very limited
Grantchester Meadows 12 Single Shared No
Barton Road 14 Single En-Suite No

In addition to the College's own residences, we occasionally lease a number of smaller houses from other Colleges.  In the 2019/20 academic year, the following properties are available. Descriptions are given on this page.

Residence Number of Units Occupancy Bathroom Car Park
Fitzwilliam Road 7 Single Shared No
86 Chesterton Road 8 Single Shared Very limited

Harvey Road

10 Singles and doubles Shared Limited

Frequently asked questions

Is there any accommodation available for couples? 

Most of the rooms available are for single occupancy only. For couples, there are 5 flats at Brookside. Please check with the Accommodation Office for availability of such rooms. 

What furniture is there in the room?

All rooms are furnished with a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and chest of draws. The College will provide a mattress, duvet, pillow and blankets, but residents need to provide their own linens. Kitchens are equipped with fridge, freezer, microwave and oven, however you will need to bring your own cooking utensils, crockery and cutlery.

Is there an Internet Connection in the rooms? 

Internet access is provided by the College to all residences except Brookside, where residents can make their own arrangements with an Internet Service Provider. Click here for details on how these residents can access the Internet. 

How often do I pay my rent? 

Rooms are rented out on an annual basis, with tenancies running from September – September every year. Rent is paid over the year in four installments, with an additional charge for heating and lighting. Bills will be sent to your @cam email address at the beginning of each term. Residents are required to sign a Tenancy Agreement with the College before moving in. 

Can I move out during the year? 

If any resident wishes to move out of Graduate Accommodation before the end of their tenancy, they are required give the College three months’ notice either in writing or by email. The College will not assume that you are leaving when your course ends - it is up to you to give the Graduate Administrator sufficient notice. 

However, this notice period does not apply if you are changing to another Catz room or residence. 

I'm doing a PhD - will I be able to have College accommodation in my 2nd and 3rd years?

We only guarantee accommodation to students new to Cambridge in their 1st year.  Accommodation for students in their 2nd and 3rd year is offered subject to availability.

I'd like to keep the same room next year. How do I renew my tenancy? 

A questionnaire will be sent to all postgraduates in February/March, asking them to state their preferences for accommodation in the following Academic Year.  Rooms are allocated in accordance with our Accommodation Policy

Where do I collect my room keys? 

Keys are collected from the Porters' Lodge at College. They will let you know your room number and any other information that you need to know to gain access to your room. The Lodge is manned 24 hours a day, but if you arrive and there is no-one there, please do wait - the Porter should return within 15 minutes or so. 

Can I have a pet in my room? 

No - pets are not permitted in the Graduate residences. 

What do I do if I have an accident at one of the Postgraduate residences?

All accidents must be reported to the Porters' Lodge (telephone 01223 338300), where the Accident Book must be filled in accordingly. You can do this in person, but if you have been incapacitated, someone else can do so on your behalf.

If you are injured and require urgent medical attention, there is an Accident & Emergency Room at Addenbrooke's Hospital, or for more minor injuries, First Aid Kits are available in each residence.

The heating/hot water/lightbulbs (etc.) don't work in my room. Who do I contact? 

Maintenance issues can be reported through the College website via the Maintenance Request form. We aim to have someone check out your issue within 48 hours, although it can take longer at weekends. 

Can I smoke in the residence? 

No - all College buildings and bedrooms are non-smoking.

Can I have guests in my room?

With the exception of Brookside, postgraduate accommodation is for single occupancy only. You may have an occasional guest in your room for a maximum of 3 consecutive nights.

Also in this section

Contact details

Graduate Office
Angela Abbott
MCR website