Skip to main content
St Catharine's College, Cambridge Search

At the start of each term all graduate students will receive a bill from the College finance office. Below is an explanation of the costs you will incur during your time at St Catharine's.

If you have any queries about your bill, please contact the finance office (

University Composition Fee

If you are paying your own fees, you will receive an invoice (separate from your first College bill) towards the end of October of your first term in Cambridge. Students are billed on a yearly basis with the option to pay in three equal installments each year.

PhD students in their fourth year of full-time study of beyond are automatically exempt from the University Composition fee.

If you are not self-funded, then the College will collect the fees from your funding body. Please ensure that you provide any details of who the invoice should be sent to by completing the Graduate Finance Form

Any bills are to be paid within one month.

Please see the relevant section of the University Graduate Prospectus for a summary of your University Composition Fee.

Please note that the College membership fee does NOT include your accommodation.

Mandatory Maintenance Costs

Facilities Charge
£50 per quarter
. The College has for many years levied a termly fixed charge to cover some of the fixed costs of providing the various eating and cooking facilities for students, including Gyp Rooms as well as the Hall, Kitchens, Cafeteria and Coffee Shop/Bar. These facilities are characterised by high fixed costs and the standard charging method in such situations is a set regular charge supplemented by a usage charge. For example this method is used by most utilities. The actual prices per meal/drink compare very favourably with those charged central Cambridge commercial businesses.

Caution Money

£200 deposit. All students are billed for this when they first matriculate with the College and is refundable upon your departure as long as you have not damaged any College property, or owe the College money in any other way. Please note this is not an accommodation deposit - even if you move out of College Accommodation during your course, your Caution Money is not refunded to you until you have graduated from your course.


The University fee does not include any accommodation costs. If you are staying in one of the College's postgraduate residences you will be billed for your rent on a termly basis at the rents given on the Room Rents page. Water, electricity, gas and internet are included in the accommodation charge.

Heating and lighting
There are electricity and gas meters in all the graduate residences with the exception of South Green Lodge which runs solely on electricity. Heating and lighting is included in your accommodation charge.

Vacating mid-term
All tenancy agreements run from 1st October to 22nd September regardless of your move in at the beginning of the year and or the length of your course. Accommodation for students arriving prior to this is payable at the excess rent rate of £20 per night. If you wish to move out before 22 September, you will need to give the Graduate Administrator 3 months' notice of your move-out date, either through the Graduate Accommodation Questionnaire that runs in the latter half of Lent Term or via email. Your accommodation bill for that quarter will then be adjusted accordingly.

Other Costs

MCR subscription
All postgraduate students are automatically enrolled as members of the MCR unless they opt-out at the beginning of the year. MCR membership is charged at £13.00 per term.

PAT testing charge
£10 p.a. If you are living in one of the postgraduate residences you will need to have any electrical appliances PAT tested at the beginning of the year. An email will be circulated to let you know when the PAT testing will take place.

Return to section index

Contact details

Postgraduate admissions
Email us