Skip to main content
St Catharine's College, Cambridge Search

Preparing for your Arrival in Cambridge

Once you have met all conditions from Board of Postgraduate Studies, then there are various things that it would be helpful for you to do, if at all possible, before you arrive in Cambridge, in order to ease your arrival.

Please also ensure you go to the Important Things To Attend To pages. Here you will find links to forms that need to be returned to the Librarian, Chaplain and Computer Officer.

1. Make sure you stay in touch with the College

The Postgraduate Administrator, Angela Abbott, is your main point of contact with the College before you arrive in Cambridge and is also here to help for the duration of your course. You can contact the Postgraduate Office at

All communication is done via email, so it is important that you stay in touch by this method. We already have your email address (or you would not be reading this page!) but if it changes during the summer, please let the Postgraduate Administrator know and also update your Applicant Self-service page. This will make sure that no important communications from either the College or University go astray.

2. Sort out your accommodation in Cambridge

The College aims to provide accommodation in one of our postgraduate residences to all single full-time first-year research students admitted to the University by 1 September.  Please note that there is no accommodation available for postgraduates on the College Main site. 

There is very limited College accommodation for couples. We recommend that you seek double accommodation on the private market as it is unlikely that we are able to offer such accommodation to new students.

If you are planning to live in private accommodation, please notify the Accommodation Manager so we can note that you will not need a room from us.

The Accommodation Manager will contact you soon after your admission has been confirmed with your formal accommodation offer. All accommodation queries can be directed to the Accommodation Manager at

Further information on life in the Postgraduate residences is given in Accommodation section of the College's website and in the Accommodation handbook, however a few of the most important things to note prior to moving in are given below:

No pets are allowed in College accommodation.

No smoking is permitted anywhere within College property.

No additional furniture may be brought into College accommodation unless for medical reasons

3. Inform the College of your date of arrival in Cambridge

Your Confirmation of Admission letter will show the date you are due to come to Cambridge and start your course. However, you should also check with your Department to see if there are any events being held that you should attend.

If you have been allocated a room in a Postgraduate Residence, your arrival date in Cambridge will already be logged. However, if your plans change, please notify us as soon as possible.

If you are not staying in our accommodation, please let us know when you intend to arrive in Cambridge so you can come to the College and collect your University Card.

In any case, you must ensure that you arrive in Cambridge in time for Matriculation day so that you are able to be present at College for Matriculation into the University.

Tier 4 visa holders are subject to PBI (Points Based Immigration) monitoring and are required by the UKBA to provide the Postgraduate Office with a  copy of their passport and visa documents prior to Matriculation. If this applies to you, you will be sent further information nearer the start of term. 

4. Inform the College of your funding arrangements

We ask all students to complete the Financial Information form prior to Matriculation. If you can provide the College with the address of your funding source(s) for your University and College fees, we can bill them directly. Please provide copies of any correspondence confirming your funding to the Postgraduate Office as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will personally be sent a bill for these fees soon after your arrival.

For most of you that are expecting a grant or loan, you will receive an email from the College Finance Office letting you know when to collect it.

For Clinical Vets or Medics: your loan is paid directly into your bank account by the Student Loan Company, once the College confirms that you have come in to residence for the new academic year. Anyone in this category not living in College accommodation must confirm with the Postgraduate Office that they are in Cambridge, and give us their Cambridge address.

For international students only: You will need to obtain provision for opening a Bank account in England. Banks in Cambridge will normally ask you to present a letter of support and approval from your bank in your home country.

When you have selected a bank to open an account with, you may also be asked for a proof of student status from the College. In this case, please email the full address of the bank concerned to the Postgraduate Office and a letter will be sent to your pigeon-hole in due course.

Please allow at least 5 working days when requesting a letter.

4. Make sure your vaccinations are up to date

Download and read the Student Healthcare Guide produced by the Cambridge and Peterborough NHS Trust and the University's advice to students on vaccine-preventable infections.

Fill in and return the health questionnaire  and, in addition, attend any subsequent appointments. This will enable the College to provide you with the support that you need.

You are strongly advised to have a Meningitis jab (MenMCAW conjugate) and flu vaccine as soon as possible. You can do this when you register with your Doctor. Meningitis can prove fatal, and most Graduates are in the highest risk category of catching the virus.

Remember to bring with you your National Health card (or number – note that this is not your National Insurance number), as this helps with the process of registration with a Cambridge doctor. If you do not have a medical card and do not know your NHS number, please contact your current doctor or local Health Authority before you arrive.

Tier 4 visa holders will need to pay an NHS surcharge each year as part of your visa application in order to access NHS medical services.

Contact details

Postgraduate admissions
Email us