Skip to main content
St Catharine's College, Cambridge Search

While it is hoped that your time at Cambridge will be an untroubled one, there may be occasions when you need additional help and support. This section pages contain information on the support services that are available to you and health guidelines.

If you require urgent care, please click here:

Health and welfare at St Catharine's

The College provides a Sick Bay and Surgery. The College Nurse, Dee Williams, is available in full term in E1a. Her hours will be confirmed during your first week of term. Outside of these hours contact can be made via e-mail on or voicemail on 01223 (3)38327. The College Nurse is available throughout the term for treatment of minor illness or injury and general health advice, or if you simply want someone to talk to. All discussions are completely confidential. During your first few weeks the College Nurse may ask to see you, particularly if you have informed the College that you have a serious allergy or other potentially serious health issue.

Other people available to help: St Catharine’s students who have health or welfare problems are often surprised by just how much help is available. They should always feel free to contact their Graduate Tutors, the College Nurse, the Chaplain, the MCR welfare rep, or CUSU welfare team.

The Catz MCR's Welfare page provides a detailled overview of the surces of advice and help available to students during their studies.

Before and when you arrive – a checklist

  • Download and read the Student Healthcare Guide produced by the Cambridge and Peterborough NHS Trust and the University's advice to students on vaccine-preventable infections.
  • You are strongly advised to have a Meningitis jab (MenMCAW conjugate) and flu vaccine as soon as possible. You can do this when you register with your Doctor. Meningitis can prove fatal, and most Graduates are in the highest risk category of catching the virus
  • Fill in and return the health questionnaire which the nurse will send to you separately via your new @cam e-mail address (check your junk mail too). Any student not in receipt of a health questionnaire by the end of September should contact the college nurse on Dee will arrange to meet any students who highlight any potential issues near the start of term, and this will enable the College to provide you with the support that you need.
  • Remember to bring with you your National Health card (or number – note that this is not your National Insurance number), as this helps with the process of registration with a Cambridge doctor. If you do not have a medical card and do not know your NHS number, please contact your current doctor or local Health Authority before you arrive.
  • Tier 4 visa holders will need to pay an NHS surcharge of £150 per year as part of your visa application in order to access NHS medical services.
  • Any student with a serious food allergy, or who carries an Epipen, MUST see the College Nurse on the Monday or Tuesday before lectures start.

Registering with a GP in Cambridge

St Catharine's is well placed for easy access to may student-friendly GPs in Cambridge and registering with a GP as soon as possible is of utmost importance. The following Medical Practies are particularly conveniently situated:

Students New to the UK: if you have never been registered with a doctor in the UK before please inform your new doctor when you register

Dental care:

Counselling: Advice, or confidential discussion in cases of emotional or mental distress, is available from the University Counselling Service. The College has resources available to students who need longer term counselling than that provided by the University Counselling Service. The Senior Tutor and the College Nurse can help students with referrals to private counsellers, as well as advise on financial assistance from the College for counselling.

NUS Student Survival Guide: Click here to download advice from the NUS on keeping yourself safe and well during your studies.

Emergency Health care

  • NHS 111 - NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. Dial 111 to speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals
  • Urgent Care Cambridge (UCC) - for out-of-hours emergency care.
  • Addenbrooke's Hospital on Hills Road is the nearest Accident and Emergency department.

Return to Arriving in Cambridge index

Contact details

Postgraduate admissions
Email us