About student finances

Find out more about managing your costs at St Catharine's, and how we are able to help.

At St Catharine's, we believe it is extremely important that no one is deterred from coming to study with us because they worry they cannot afford it. This page is to give you an idea of how much it will cost to be a student here, and the many ways that St Catharine's and the University can help - please read it carefully.

There is a perception that it will be expensive to study at university and even more expensive to be at Cambridge. In fact, while the university fee charge will be identical for most universities, living expenses and room rents are generally lower here in Cambridge than elsewhere.

What will your fee status be?

Colleges collect fees on behalf of the University, and in the first instance it is the colleges which determine applicants' fee status. If you have any queries about your possible fee status, please first of all, look at this page and click the 'Higher Education link. Then if you have any further queries, please contact the College Admissions Office.

For students starting their course in October 2021, or later, in general if your are a UK national with an unfettered right to live in the UK and will have been resident in the UK for the three years immediately preceding the start of your course, then you will probably be assigned 'home' fee status.

​For 'home' students, your previous highest qualification at the time when you start a Cambridge course is also important. In general, if you already have a first degree or equivalent qualification, you normally are not eligible for government-sponsored funding and will be subject to a different fee system (unless you are studying the later years of the courses in Architecture [to which St Catharine's does not admit students], Medicine or Veterinary Medicine).

Most other students are likely to be assigned 'overseas' fee status, but please note that the situation can be more complex for some applicants - including Irish nationals, those with 'settled' or 'pre-settled status', and a variety of other exceptions. Again, see this page.

How much will studying at St Catharine's cost?

a. Tuition fees

At the time of writing, most Home students take out a government loan to pay for their tuition fees. Overseas students pay their own tuition fees, which vary according to the subject they are reading, as well as a college fee to cover teaching and various facilities provided by their college. 

Find out more about tuition fees.  .

b. Living costs

Accommodation provided by the College is only charged for the 'period of residence' - three ten week blocks containing the short Cambridge eight-week university teaching terms. Our room rents are very competitive, and the compact geography of the Colleges and University Departments means there is no need to incur any transport expenses (except, for many students, the maintenance of a bicycle!). 

Accommodation charges for first years in the academic year 2020/21 were set at £3,636–£5,523 (dependent on size, location and shared/ensuite facilities) divided into three ten-week terms. This charge includes rent, heating, lighting, water, internet use of the College's kitchen and self-catering facilities. These charges are reviewed regularly, and this usually results in small annual increases.

In addition, it will be necessary to cover costs of clothes, books, travel, entertainment etc. Do bear in mind that St Catharine's works hard to ensure that the College Library is well stocked with the books needed by undergraduate students - and this can save our students a great deal of expenditure. You should probably delay most book purchases until you have seen what the Library holds, and ask for advice about which books are useful from your Director of Studies, supervisors, and the second years taking your course.

For an estimate of what it costs to be a student at Cambridge, see the University website's section on student finance. Please note that, in accordance with University regulations, the College will not allow students to seek paid employment during term. You may also want to gather independent, external advice about the costs of being a student, such as from Money Saving Expert.