Information about funds available to St Catharine's undergraduates for travel, academic-related or extra-curricular activities
1. College Travel Funds
College Travel Funds are available for undergraduate travel, and for other Tripos-related or extra-curricular activities. The College distributes about £40,000 annually (given by various private benefactors over the years) for travel and other related activities. Any undergraduate may apply to these Funds.
These Funds do not support collective activities such as Musical Tours or Sporting Tours (for those, see 4, 5 and 6, below). Applications for individual activity in either musical or sporting contexts will, however, be considered, but will not have a high priority.
Priority will be give to applications in the following three areas:
- Worthy academic projects (these need not be exclusively Tripos-related), where a well-presented case is made, supported by a Director of Studies and/or Tutor.
- Activities whose aim is to contribute to the good of others, in either a national or international context (eg, overseas development projects, local community work).
- Personal travel with the aim of cultural enrichment, from those whose opportunities to experience such travel have, for financial or other reasons, been hitherto limited.
Closing dates each term are
- Michaelmas - Noon on 6 November
- Lent - Noon on 12 February
- Easter - Noon on 21 May
How to apply
To apply, please use this online form. Please make sure that you have discussed your application with your tutor before you complete the form. We will not grant any funds unless this box on the webform is checked.
2. Academic Course-related Bursary Fund
Grants from this Fund are made to assist undergraduates with the costs involved in such things as: additional course costs, laboratory placements, project or research expenses and the like. Applicants should apply using the College Bursary Form, available here. Please make sure that you have discussed your application with your tutor before you complete the form. We will not grant any funds unless this box on the webform is checked.
3. Annual Fund Language Grants
The College will normally provide students with half of the cost of a language course at the University Language Centre. You can apply for a grant when you have completed the course and you should provide a copy of your certificate or other evidence to show that you have completed the full course. You should apply using the College Bursary Form, available here.
4. St Catharine’s College Society Awards
The St Catharine’s College Society (our alumni association) offers the following additional awards. For details of what is available and how to apply, see the Society website.
- Music Bursaries - for students not working towards degrees in Music; other College support for professional lessons is available for Music students.
- Performing Arts Bursaries - for those wishing to improve their skills or experience in dance, theatre, etc.
- Sports Bursaries - for students representing the College or University at a competitive sport.
- Travel Bursaries - for College Clubs and Societies, to support UK and overseas tours.
- Internship Bursaries - to support those who have obtained unpaid or minimally paid summer vacation employment and who are in receipt of Cambridge Bursaries. All eligible students will be e-mailed about this scheme - probably in February.
5. Annual Fund Sports Bursaries
Thanks to the generosity of alumni, the College has funds available to undergraduate and graduate students, to assist with extra costs relating to competing at a high level of sport within the College and/or the University. Such costs may be incurred by the need to go on training camps during the university vacations, to pay extra College rent when staying in College accommodation for a particular sports related reason, or by the need to purchase specialised sporting equipment. However, this list is not exhaustive, and all applications for a Sports Bursary will be assessed with respect to the needs of the students concerned.
Applications for these Bursaries can be made at any time using the Annual Fund Sports Bursary online form here. Applications are considered once per term by the tutors after the deadlines below
Michaelmas - Noon on 6 November
Lent - Noon on 12 February
Easter - Noon on 21 May
Bursaries will range in size from £200 - £500. The awards will be made by the Tutors in consultation with the Senor Tutor and the Senior Treasurer of the Amalgamated Clubs.
6. Annual Fund Bursaries for University Gym Membership
The Annual Fund provides funds to pay part of the University gym memberships of members of College who compete in sports at a College or University level. The Fund can provide a subsidy of up to £10 per month, up to a maximum of £90 in one academic year. You should apply using the same Annual Fund Sports Bursary form as above, stating the nature of your College or University sporting commitment, and including evidence of your University gym membership costs (such as a copy of your receipt[s]). You are encouraged to apply as soon as you have written receipts relating to your total gym membership costs for the entire academic year.
7. The Master's Fund
This fund provides grants to individuals or specific projects in areas that are otherwise unlikely to be supported through existing funds. Find out more and apply.
8. Other Sources of Funding
For other sources of University Funds, see this page.