Professor Tilbury commenced her academic career in 1990 as a doctoral student at St Catharine’s (Geography and Education). Her early work on frameworks for reorienting higher education towards sustainable development led to UN policy advisory roles and to her Chairing several UN Committees (1995 -2015).
Daniella has held research and academic leadership positions in the UK, Australia, Hong Kong and Gibraltar. . Whilst in Australia she became the recipient of the Macquarie Innovation Award for Research and won a large competitive bid to set up the Australian Research Institute in Education for Sustainability (ARIES). Prof Tilbury was recognised with a Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship in 2009 and funded to broker interdisciplinary dialogues and build inter-professional capability in sustainability research.
Daniella has travelled extensively across Africa, Asia, Latin America, Oceania and Europe to evaluate the investment and impact of sustainability programmes. She was a member of the Board of WWF Australia that created Earth Hour in 2007. Most recently, Daniella was the inaugural Vice-Chancellor of the University of Gibraltar and established the research specialisms, strategic direction and commercial viability of this ambitious institution (2013-2018). Her latest challenge is as Commissioner for Sustainable Development to HM Government of Gibraltar.
- Tilbury, D. (2016) Student Engagement and Leadership in Higher Education for Sustainability. In, Barth M, Michelsen G, Rieckmann M, Thomas I (Eds.) Routledge Handbook of Higher Education for Sustainable Development, pp. 241-260. Routledge: London and New York
- Tilbury, D. (2014) ‘Higher Education for Sustainable Development’ Commissioned Evaluation of the Impact of the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development. Paris: UNESCO pp.80
- Blewitt, J. and Tilbury, D. (2013) ‘Searching for Resilience in Sustainable Development: Learning Journeys in Conservation’. London: Routledge. Studies in Sustainable Development Series. ISBN-10: 041552489X | ISBN-13: 978-0415524896. (pp. 204)
- Ryan, A. and Tilbury, D. (2013) ‘Uncharted Waters: Voyages for ESD in the higher
- education curriculum’ The Curriculum Journal Vol24 Issue 2 Taylor and Francis (pp272-294)
- Tilbury, D. (2011).‘Higher Education for Sustainability: A Global Overview of Commitment and Progress.’ In GUNI (Ed.),Higher Education in the World 4. Higher Education’s Commitment to Sustainability. Palgrave: Barcelona. (pp. 18-28)
- Tilbury, D (2011) ‘Education for Sustainable Development: An Expert Review of Processes and Learning’ Paris: UNESCO. Available in Spanish, French and English.ED-2010/WS/46 (pp. 132)
- Tilbury, D. (2011) Are We Learning to Change? Mapping Global Progress in Education for Sustainable Development in the Lead Up to 'Rio Plus 20.' Global Environmental Research, 14(2), (pp101–107)
- Ryan, A. & Tilbury, D. (2011) (eds) 'Nurturing Responsibility: Connecting Business Practice, Education and Sustainability'. Special Issue 2: Journal of Global Responsibility,. ISSN: 2041-2568. (pp137 – 268)