News from the Archives
The papers of Dr Robert Evans (1909-2005), given to the College Archives in 2017, have now been catalogued. Prior to adding the catalogue entries to the Janus website, please contact the Archivist if you would like to view these papers. The collection contains several items relating to the Crispin, Evans and Austen-Leigh families.
The A-Z of the Archive is continuing on the College's Twitter feed and a new letter comes out each Thursday.
The College's collection of oil paintings can now be viewed online via the Art UK website (formerly Your Paintings). If you have any questions about the paintings please get in touch with the Archivist.
- MCR Minutes and Photographs
- Letters from George Forrest Browne to M. R. James 1925
- Memories of Gostlin House
- College Rugby Club photograph 1950-1951
Can you help?
The College is always pleased to receive donations of material that relate to the College. Please get in touch with the Archivist if you think you have material that may be of interest.
Currently, the Archive is particularly seeking the following:
- Material relating to the College and its members during the First and Second World Wars;
- Records of the JCR, especially the JCR Suggestions Books for 1945-1971, and post 1973;
- Photographs and information about St. Chad's;
- Material relating to College Balls;
- Student Society records, including termcards and photographs.
Each term, to publicise the College's archive holdings, the Archivist will be making a small selection of images of documents from the College archives available online. For the Long Vacataion 2018, we look at College's 1906 Tennis Team.
- Easter Term 2018: May Week of 1910.
- Lent Term 2018: photograph of a College dinner, held in a student's room, in 1915.
- Michaelmas Term 2017: College blazer collection
- Easter Term 2017: the stone from 1674
- Lent Term 2017: the College gardens.
- Long vacation 2016: the College stables built in 1875, as part of the building of a new Master's Lodge.
- Easter Term 2016: Gostlin House in Chapel Court.
- Lent Term 2016: Ofspring Blackall, Fellow of the College from 1679-1687 and latterly Bishop of Exeter.
Earlier sets of online images can be seen here.