News from the Archives
The papers of Dr John Shakeshaft, recently given to the College Archives by his executor, have now been catalogued. Prior to adding the catalogue entries to the Janus website, please contact the Archivist if you would like to view these papers.
The College's larger photographs and collection of College blazers were re-packaged into acid free archive boxes over the summer. Packaging into larger boxes will aid their long term preservation.
The College's collection of oil paintings can now be viewed online via the Art UK website (formerly Your Paintings). If you have any questions about the paintings please get in touch with the Archivist.
- Papers of R. C. Evans, Fellow of the College 1947-1977
- MCR Minutes and Photographs
- Letters from George Forrest Browne to M. R. James 1925
- Memories of Gostlin House
Can you help?
The College is always pleased to receive donations of material that relate to the College. Please get in touch with the Archivist if you think you have material that may be of interest.
Currently, the Archive is particularly seeking the following:
- Material relating to the College and its members during the First and Second World Wars;
- Records of the JCR, especially the JCR Suggestions Books for 1945 onwards; **September 2017: the JCR suggestions book for 1971-1973 has been located**
- Material relating to College Balls;
- Student Society records, including termcards and photographs.
Each term, to publicise the College's archive holdings, the Archivist will be making a small selection of images of documents from the College archives available online. For Easter Term 2018, we look at teh events held during May Week of 1910.
- Lent Term 2018: photograph of a College dinner, held in a student's room, in 1915.
- Michaelmas Term 2017: College blazer collection
- Easter Term 2017: the stone from 1674
- Lent Term 2017: the College gardens.
- Long vacation 2016: the College stables built in 1875, as part of the building of a new Master's Lodge.
- Easter Term 2016: Gostlin House in Chapel Court.
- Lent Term 2016: Ofspring Blackall, Fellow of the College from 1679-1687 and latterly Bishop of Exeter.
- Michaelmas Term 2015: library book purchases from 1865.
- Long vacation 2015: the College swimming pool.
- Easter Term 2015: the College's tenants in Coton, Cambridgeshire in 1801.
- Lent Term 2015: the new Hall of 1966.
Earlier sets of online images can be seen here.