Dining in College
All those with dining rights are eligible to dine at High Table free of charge once a term, during Full Term, when Fellows are signed in. Please contact the Alumni and Development Office to register. Dining is currently only available on Wednesdays and Sundays during term and on a Tuesday out of term. On Sunday evenings, this will typically include the guest preacher and other attendees at Choral Evensong, which starts at 6.00pm and to which members are warmly welcomed.
Alumni who would like to take up their dining rights should be in touch with the Alumni and Development Office (01223 338337 or email@example.com) to make a booking, who will liaise with the President to ensure that High Table will take place. Non-alumni guests are not permitted at this time.
All St Catharine’s alumni (former undergraduate and graduate students) who are not currently in statu pupillari and in residence (i.e. not current students) are eligible for dining rights if they have:
- taken their MA (approximately six years after matriculation for an undergraduate course); or
- graduated from a postgraduate course (e.g., Master’s, PGCE, LLM, MBA, PhD).
Additional Guidelines for taking up dining rights:
- The dining list closes at 1.30pm two days before.
- High Table Dinner guests should arrive in the Ramsden room between 7pm and 7.15pm. If any guests are delayed they should inform the College via the Porters’ Lodge (01223 338300) or the Buttery (01223 338342).
- Gowns are not required although smart attire (lounge suits or equivalent) is appropriate.
- The dinner will be held in the Ramsden room.
- The Ramsden room should be vacated at 10pm at the latest unless there is a Fellow present.
- Undergraduates or minors are not permitted to dine at High Table under any circumstances.
MA Dinner and graduation
Six years and one term after matriculating, a Bachelor of Arts is entitled to take his or her Master of Arts degree, either in person or in absence, provided that two years have elapsed since the BA degree was awarded. The Praelector’s Secretary, Elaine Hurrell, will contact all those who become eligible each year in January and invite them to attend the Congregation in March. (For March 2016, this will be those who matriculated in 2009.) Please note that the information on the alumni database will be used for this, so if you haven't updated your details for a while, please do so using this page.
If, for any reason, you cannot attend the March ceremony, you may proceed at another ceremony by prior arrangement - but most newly eligible alumni return to receive their MA degrees in March.
A special dinner is arranged for the Graduands the evening before the Ceremony.
When you have confirmed with the Praelector’s Secretary that you wish to attend, then your Senate House tickets will be sent out accordingly.
Certificates and transcripts
Degree certificates and transcripts are obtained through the University Student Registry. If you would like a letter simply confirming that you were a student at St Catharine's, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
College guest rooms
We are able to offer a double and a small double guest room for alumni to book. Please contact the Conference and Events office on 01223 336433 to check availability. To make a booking please click here.
College also participates in an out-of-term B&B, please click here to Make a Booking. All bookings are taken online and St Catharine's alumni are entitled to a discount (please contact us to obtain the promotional code).
Parking in College
We regret that the College cannot provide parking but there are two multi-storey car parks conveniently located within walking distance: Grand Arcade by the Corn Exchange and Park Street near the Round Church.
Hotels and B&Bs in Cambridge
Below is a brief description of a selection of hotels and B&Bs which we hope you may find helpful when arranging your visit to Cambridge. There are, of course, many more to choose from and you will find more information about places to stay and more at the Visit Cambridge webite. Please also visit TripAdvisor for reviews and recommendations. Alumni receive discount with their CamCards at both of the Hilton hotels, Hotel Felix, The Moller Centre, Madingley Hall,
- 5 Chapel Street B&B: A restored Georgian townhouse in Chesterton with three ensuite bedrooms and a good quality breakfast.
- Archway House B&B: A small, silver award winning bed and breakfast, 20 minutes walk from the city centre.
- Arbury Lodge Guest House: A family run guest house, approximately 1.5 miles from the city centre, with a range of rooms available.
- The Cambridge Guest House B&B: Situated on Milton Road with ample off-street parking. All rooms are en-suite and full English breakfast a speciality.
- Citystay Apartments: Self-catering serviced apartments at a variety of locations throughout the city.
- Doubletree by Hilton: Formerly known as the Garden House Hotel, the Doubletree is approximately 5 minutes' walk from the College, situated on the banks of the river. It boasts a great array of amenities including a 24-hour business centre, lounge, parking (for an additional charge), and the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Cambridge.
- Duke House Cambridge B&B: Situated alongside Christ's Pieces with limited parking (available on prior agreement). All rooms are en-suite and full English breakfast a speciality.
- The End House B&B: The End House offers ensuite accommodation in a restored Edwardian house.
- Hilton Cambridge City Centre: This hotel is located very close to both St Catharine's and the Grand Arcade shopping centre. Facilities include a fitness room and free WiFi.
- Hotel du Vin: Located on Trumpington Street, this hotel is part of a chain of luxury and boutique hotels. It offers stylish accommodation and excellent food and wine. Hotel du Vin is about 10 minutes walk away from St Catharine’s.
- Hotel Felix: Just over a mile from the city centre, this hotel is within easy access to the M11 and A14 North. It offers luxurious accommodation and award-winning, critially acclaimed food.
- Ibis Cambridge: Located in Station Square, one of the best value for money hotels in Cambridge, with good rooms starting from £65.
- Moller Centre: Located on the grounds of Churchill College, this facility offers a range of comfortable, fully equipped ensuite double bedrooms with extensive views of the spacious College grounds.
- Premier Inn Cambridge North (Girton): With a bus stop opposite, this Premier Inn has good access to the city centre while benefiting from free on-site parking.
- Rectory Farm: Located on Madingley Road with a bus stop to the city centre within 5 minutes walk. Georgian-style house, set within gardens with on-site parking
- Regent Hotel: Regent Hotel was completely renovated a couple of years ago after a fire. It is a small, privately owned hotel situated on Regent Street backing onto Parker’s Piece.
- Sayle House B&B: A family run bed and breakfast located a 15-minute walk from the city centre. Receives excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.
- Travelodge Cambridge Central Hotel: This is situated close to the station. The hotel does not have a car park; there is a pay and display car park in front of the hotel and a multi-storey 200 yards from the hotel.
- Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park Hotel: This is situated on the outskirts of Cambridge close to the A14 Jct 32. The Premier Inn can be accessed from the same junction.
- Travelodge Cambridge Newmarket Road Hotel: The closest Travelodge to the city centre. Parking at the hotel is limited, but there are designated parking areas and car parks nearby. There is also a Premier Inn on Newmarket Road
- University Arms: Located in the city centre next to Parkers Piece, on Regent Street. There is no car park at this hotel but the multi-storey Grand Arcade car park is nearby.
- The Varsity: Located close to the river and just a few minutes' walk from St Catharine's, The Varsity has a restaurant, spa and roof terrace.
- Warkworth House: Warkworth House located just off Parker’s Piece, behind the Parkside Police Station. All rooms are en-suite.
- Westminster College: Close to the Backs and a short walk from St Catharine's, the Alumni & Development Office are pleased to recommend the facilities at Westminster College. Please note that accommodation is not available to those under 16 years of age.
- Worth House: A guest house with a four-star Gold Award, outside of the city centre.