Postgraduate accommodation FAQs

Is there any accommodation available for couples? 

We have 3 couples flats available from Michaelmas Term 2023 onwards. Please ask the Accommodation Office for more information. 

What is included in the room and as part of the rent?

Please take a look at our breakdown of the items and services included as part of College accommodation.

Is there an Internet Connection in the rooms? 

Internet access is provided by the College to all residences. 

How often do I pay my rent? 

Rent is paid over the year in three or four instalments (depending on contract length) and includes heating, light and internet. A bill will be issued at the start of Michaelmas, Lent, Easter and Summer terms where relevant. Residents are required to sign an Occupancy Agreement with the College before moving in. 

Can I move out during the year? 

If any resident wishes to move out of Postgraduate Accommodation before the end of their tenancy, they are required give the College three months’ advance notice and should email the Accommodation Manager to provide such notice. The College will not assume that you are leaving when your course ends - it is up to you to give the Accommodation Manager sufficient notice. 

I'm doing a PhD - will I be able to have College accommodation in my 2nd and 3rd years?

We aim to provide accommodation to all new full-time postgraduate students in their first year. Accommodation for students in their 2nd and 3rd year is limited to 15 rooms and are allocated via a ballot carried out by the MCR accommodation rep. Anything in addition to this is offered strictly subject to availability once all other allocations have been confirmed.

Where do I collect my room keys? 

Keys are collected from the Porters' Lodge at the College main site on Trumpington Street. Give your name on arrival and they will issue your key and any other information that you need to know to gain access to your room. The Lodge is manned 24 hours a day, but if you arrive and there is no-one there, please call the mobile number provided or wait and the Porter should return within 15 minutes or so. 

Can I have a pet in my room? 

No - pets are not permitted in any College residences. 

What do I do if I have an accident at one of the Postgraduate residences?

All accidents must be reported to the Porters' Lodge (telephone 01223 338300), and an accident form must be completed accordingly. You can do this in person, but if you have been incapacitated, someone else can do so on your behalf.

If you are injured and require urgent medical attention call 111 or in more life threatening circumstances call 999 or report to Accident & Emergency at Addenbrooke's Hospital. For more minor injuries, first aid kits can be found in each residence or contact your GP. 

The heating/hot water/lightbulbs (etc.) don't work in my room. Who do I contact? 

Maintenance issues can be reported through the College website via the Maintenance Request form. If the issue occurs on the weekend and is considered urgent, then please report to the Porters Lodge. 

Can I smoke in the residence? 

No - all College buildings, grounds and bedrooms are non-smoking.

Can I have guests in my room?

Overnight guests are not permitted.

What is caution money?

Caution money is the sum of money (£200) students are required to pay when they join the College. This is not a rental deposit for accommodation but is security for good conduct. It is payable by all students irrelevant of whether they live in College accommodation or not. Students are repaid their caution money when they graduate from the College. Please contact for further information.